25 June 2010
Columbus 5 Rochester 3 (29-45)
- The Red Wings suffered a tough hard fought game yesterday as they had decent pitching and decent hitting, but it was not enough as the Red Wings went down to the Clippers by a score of 5-3. Matt Fox got the start and if you take away a three run top of the first he was pretty decent, but you can’t so it is a so-so outing. Fox went just three innings and gave up three runs on seven hits along with an uncharacteristic three walks while striking out three to raise his era on the year to 3.94 and drop his record to 4-6. Matt Fox has generally been a pretty consistent pitcher for the Red Wings as they normally have a chance to win when he is on the mound. This was another one of those games although he only went three because of pitch count when he left the game it was only 3-1 so the Red Wings had a good chance to pull off the win. Jose Lugo then came in and id what the Wings needed him to do and that was to eat up innings with Fox only going three innings. Lugo went four innings and gave up two runs on three hits on two solo homeruns along with two walks and three strikeouts to lower his era on the year to 6.88. Kyle Waldrop continued his wonderful season by pitching a scoreless inning of relief on one hit and a walk to lower his team leading era down to 1.07 on the year. Anthony Slama worked the ninth and tried to keep up with Waldrop to see who ends the season with the lowest era. Slama went one inning and did not give up a run on only one hit along with a strikeout to lower his era down to 1.49.
- The Red Wings offense did some decent things in this one, but just could not take advantage of all the chances they had in this game. Rochester scored three runs on 13 hits along with drawing a walk and leaving an unbelievable 11 guys on base in this one. When you leave 11 guys on base you are not going to win very many games and the Red Wings were not able to overcome it yesterday. The Red Wings were led offensively by Toby Gardenhire who continued his hot string by going 3-4 at the plate with his 10th rbi to bring his average up to .278. Trevor Plouffe went 2-5 to bring his average up to .269. Dustin Martin went 2-5 at the plate with his 17th double to bring his average up to .286. Jacque Jones went 2-4 with his 17th rbi and brought his average up to .307. Jose Morales went 1-4 at the plate with his eighth double. Brock Peterson went 1-5 with his 15th double of the year. D’Angelo Jimenez went 1-5 at the plate with his second double and first rbi. Brian Dinkelman also added a base hit in the losing cause for the Red Wings yesterday in Rochester.
- Tonight, the Red Wings travel to Scranton to take on the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees as it will be a bullpen game with Jeff Manship with the Twins. Gametime is at 6:05 in Scranton as the Red Wings try to break their three game losing streak with a victory.
New Britain Business
Binghamton 5 New Britain 1 (19-53)
- The Rockcats could not follow up a win with another win as they saw a close game get away from them in the middle innings last night in a 5-1 loss to Binghamton. Mike Mccardell got the start and did well for six innings holding a 1-0 lead going into the seventh inning, before everything fell apart in the seventh and before you knew it the Rockcats were behind 5-1. Mccardell went 6+ innings and gave up four runs on six hits along with a walk and four strikeouts to raise his era on the year to 5.22 along with dropping his record to 0-8. Cole Devries came on with the bases loaded and nobody out in a 1-1 game. What did Devries do well he gave up a grand slam to the first guy he faced to put the game away. Devries did fine after that going 1-2-3, but the damage was done. Devries went one inning and gave up a run on a hit along with a strikeout to raise his era up to 6.17. Tony Davis then came in and pitched a shutout inning of relief with a walk and a strikeout.
- Just like most games the Rockcats could not do anything offensively and it really hurts in a game like this that they could have won with a key hit and a key hit there. New Britain scored just one run on five hits along with drawing two walks and leaving seven guys on base. That is not a terrible amount to leave on, but in a close game like this you need to get those guys in to win games. The Rockcats were led offensively by Steve Singleton who went 1-4 at the plate with his team leading 20th double of the year. Joe Benson went 1-4 at the plate with his ninth homerun for the Rockcats and overall his organization leading 13th overall. Benson also drove in his 17th run of the year for the Rockcats. Mark Dolenc went 1-4 at the plate with his eighth double of the year. Ben Revere made his return to the lineup after missing a week with an arm laceration and went 1-4. Danny Lehman added a base hit in the losing cause for the Rockcats.
- Tonight, the Rockcats begin a series with Portland as Deolis Guerra gets the start for New Britain. Gametime is at 5:35pm in Portland as the Rockcats try to bounce back from last night and get back on the winning track.
Fort Myers Minutes
Fort Myers 3 (1-0) Charlotte 1
- The Miracle got their second half off to a good start as they pitched very well and got just enough big hits to pull out a 3-1 victory over Charlotte last night in Fort Myers. Bobby Lanigan got the start for the Miracle and was very good, but because he missed so much time his pitch count was limited so he was not able to go long. Lanigan went four innings and did not give up a run on only one hit along with a walk and a strikeout to lower his era on the year to 2.23. Fellow starter Bruce Pugh, also returning from injury, came on and went the next 2.2 innings and also did not give up a run on only two hits along with a walk and three strikeouts to lower his era down to 3.71 along with improving his record to 3-5. Jose Gonzalez then came on and worked 1.1 scoreless innings on just two hits to lower his era on the year to 1.17. Billy Bulluck pitched the ninth and gave up a run on two hits to pick up his 14th save, while raising his era on the year to still a very good 3.62.
- The Miracle offense did not do much against Charlotte pitching in this one, but they did enough to get the lead and turn it over to the pitching staff that was really on. Fort Myers scored three runs on eight hits along with drawing a walk and leaving just five guys on base so the Miracle did a nice job of not wasting the runners that they had. Bruce Pugh committed his first error of the year in the victory for Fort Myers. The Miracle were led offensively by Brian Dozier who continued his hot streak by going 2-4 at the plate with his first homerun and 14th and 15th rbi’s to bring his average up to .284. After getting off to a slow start in Fort Myers Dozier is showing he is the shortstop version of Ben Revere in that he does not have much power, but man can the guy hit. Dozier in his last 10 games is hitting a robust .415 with an on base percentage of .467 so he is really hot right now. Esterlin De Los Santos also went 2-4 at the plate with his eighth rbi of the year to bring his average up to .314. De Los Santos has done enough in my mind to warrant sending him back up to AA and that move would open up a spot in Fort Myers for another deserving infielder in James Beresford. Drew Thompson went 1-3 at the plate with his ninth double of the year. Angel Morales went 1-3 with his second double and is rebounding after a slow start since his promotion to get his average up to .233. After starting out 3-19 in his first six games with the Miracle, Morales has rebounded in his last three to go 4-11 which is much better. Nathan Hanson and Jon Goncalves each contributed base hits in the winning cause for the Miracle.
- Tonight, the Miracle continue their series with Charlotte as Shooter Hunt is scheduled to pitch for Fort Myers. Gametime is at 6:05 in Fort Myers as the Miracle attempt to keep up the winning ways.
- The Snappers had their final day off of the All-Star Break last night. Tonight, the Snappers begin a series with Clinton as Brad Stillings gets the start for Beloit. Gametime is at 7:00pm in Clinton as the Snappers try to get the second half off the same way they ended the first half.
E-Town 5 (2-1) Bristol 4
- The E-Town Twins got the season off to a good start with a nice comeback in the ninth inning to steal one in Bristol. Trailing 4-3 going into the ninth after Zach See gave up three in the bottom of the eighth inning, the Twins scored two runs in the ninth behind a two run single by Brian Burke to score Jamaal Hawkins and Gunner Glad. However, it was not over an error by closer David Gutierrez put a guy on third with only one out, but Jamaal Hawkins threw the guy out at the plate to preserve the victory. Ryan O’Roarke got the start for the Twins and was very good in this one. O’Roarke went five innings and gave up just one run on five hits along with two walks and four strikeouts to bring his era to 1.80. Nelson Fuentes then came in and went two innings and gave up a run on a hit along with two walks to bring his era to 3.00. Zach See then came in and was not very good, but still got the win to go to 1-0. See went 1.1 innings and gave up two runs on two hits along with a walk to bring his era to 7.71. Closer David Gutierrez then came in and got two outs to pick up his first save of the year and his career.
- The E-Town Twins did not do anything offensively until the seventh inning and still found a way to get the job done. Elizabethton scored five runs on 11 hits along with drawing five walks and leaving eight guys on base in the victory for the Twins. The Twins committed three errors in this one that did not help things. Jamaal Hawkins committed his first and second errors of the year, while David Gutierrez committed his first. The Twins were led offensively for the third straight game by Oswaldo Arcia who went 2-5 with his third homerun and fifth rbi to bring his average up to .538. Gunner Glad went 2-5 at the plate to bring his average to an even .500. Brian Burke went 2-5 at the plate with his first two rbi’s of the year to bring his average up to .222. Daniel Ortiz went 2-4 at the plate with his second and third doubles of the year to bring his average up to .250. Kyle Knudson went 1-3 with his first double of the year. Jamaal Hawkins and Lance Ray contributed base hits in the winning cause for the Twins.
- Tonight, the Twins begin a series with Kingsport as Matire Garcia is scheduled to pitch for Elizabethton. Gametime is at 6:00 p.m. in Elizabethton as the Twins try to make it two straight and continue their winning ways.
Top Prospect Watch in GCL
Max Kepler 0-3 with a walk Average .250
|< Prev||Next >|